Monitoring SharePoint Foundation/Server with SCOM requires some additional configuration following the installation of the management pack.
- Download and install the latest version of the SharePoint Foundation and, if appropriate, SharePoint Server management packs to SCOM.
- If using SCOM 2012 or later, also download and install the 2012-specific management pack for SharePoint.
- Create or utilise an existing domain user account, e.g.
Domain\ScomMonitorSharePoint, granting it the following permissions:
- membership of the Farm administrators SharePoint group;
- membership of the sysadmin SQL Server role; and
- membership of the local administrators group on all servers in the farm, except those that exclusively run SQL Server.
- Create or utilise an existing Run As account in SCOM for this user account, configuring the distribution of the credential to all servers in the SharePoint farm.
- Ensure that the SharePoint Discovery/Monitoring Account profile is configured to use the configured account.
- Create (copying from the management pack installation directory) or modify the SharePoint Server management pack configuration file on the RMS (emulator), which is stored as
C:\Program Files\System Center Management Packs\SharePointMP.Config: under
<Association>, modify as appropriate, depending on whether or not a new Run As account has been created. Further instructions are located in this file.
- Run the SharePoint server discovery: select Monitoring > SharePoint Products > Administration > Tasks > Microsoft SharePoint Farm Group Tasks > Configure SharePoint Management Pack > Run.
Resolve any errors presented.
- Wait for approximately 30 minutes for SCOM to discover the instance(s) of SharePoint.
NB: any problems will be reported in the member servers’ event logs.