A blog by Gary Pendlebury.
- An agent-managed computer to act as the agent proxy. This server is used to query the Azure platform.
- Details of the DNS prefix, subscription ID and deployment slot of the application.
- A copy of the certificate, including the private key and its password.
- Access to the Azure platform through an unauthenticated web proxy. This includes the following URLs:
https://application DNS prefix
- The IP address and port number of the aforementioned proxy.
- Create an account of type binary authentication to contain the certificate, and distribute it to the agent proxy computer.
- Create an account of type basic authentication to contain the password to access the certificate.
- Create a new Windows Azure Application object:
- entering the DNS prefix, subscription ID, deployment slot of the application;
- select the certificate and authentication accounts; and
- select the proxy agent and enter the IP address and port of the web proxy.
- Wait for the application become available under Monitoring > Windows Azure.
Any problems connecting to the platform will be logged in the Operations Manager event log on the proxy agent.
Custom performance monitoring
- Import an existing management pack from SCOM into the Authoring Console.
- Create the rule:
- select Health Explorer > Rules > New > Custom Rule;
- enter an ID and name;
- select Windows Azure Role Instance as the target;
- create a data source module of type Windows Azure Role Instance Performance Counter Collection Simple Data Source called
- edit the data source and configure the values as appropriate;
- if a specific instance is to be monitored, create a key called
- if all instances are to be monitored, create a key called
AllInstances and set its value to
- create two actions:
- one of type Performance Data Collection Write Action called
- the other of type Performance Data Publisher called
- disable the rule.
- Export the management pack to SCOM.
- Create a group in SCOM containing the instance(s) of Azure to which the rule is to be applied.
- Override the rule to enable it for the group.